Monday, March 16, 2009

Qt. 3 Outside Reading FOURTEEN

Today I read a short story in Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul II titled My Angel Has a Halo by Amanda Johnson. This story was about how Amanda's boyfriend broke his neck on his trip, and when she heard the news Amanda felt bad for herself. This story taught me a couple important life lessons, one of them is that when you love someone how they look should not matter. Although at first she was scared of how people might tease him and how ugly he would look, she realized she was in love with him. Because she was in love with her boyfriend it did not matter if he had to wear a cast that made him look dumb, it was the person inside the neck brace that she loved. Also this story illustrated the life lesson that in order to help someone else you have to stop being fearful and be positive. This thought is shown when the author says this about her boyfriend and the situation, and how her boyfriend would be basically immobile for two moths "I stopped thinking about what you cannot do and concentrated instead on what you can do, or what you will do," (Johnson). Also i learned and the author learned through this experience that you can over come any obstacle no matter how big, and if you love someone you can help them overcome that obstacle. When someone you love is struggling you need to put aside your personal thoughts and give 110 percent to them. Another important quote that stuck out to me in this reading that I believe illustrates these lessons is. "..I'm not think about what I won't have and what I won't get from you. Instead, I feel grateful and so happy that you are who you are," (Johnson). This story not only taught me about love but also about life and being grateful for what you have. Overall after reading this story I believe love is important and teaches people to be appreciative for all they have in life and how blessed they are.

No comments: