Sunday, November 30, 2008

Outside Reading EIGHT

This week I read an article in The Star Tribune titled Yards of Yule by Brian Leehan. This article was about a family in Egan MN that has continued a tradition of decorating their yard with outrageous Christmas decorations. The tradition runs in the family and has continued for twenty years! The display is mainly made up of figures of Jesus and not so many Santa Lights, this is because the owner and his children wanted to focus on Christ because they believe that is the most important part of Christmas. The tradition is not a cheap one, and every year the owner makes an addition to the collection on top of paying electric bill costs. Although the family has great cheer there spirits are sometimes altered by vandalism and people who feed on stealing items from the display. I believe the central message of this article is traditions bring people comfort in times of need. I also think the idea of this article is you are never to old to celebrate Christmas!!!

1 comment:

Britta said...

I think that's really cute! I wish I had like a giant statue of frosty or jesus or something to put up in the yard!